HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Serendipity Sunday: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.....

Serendipity: Making a delightful or unexpected discovery

"For with Thee is the fountain of life: in Thy light shall we see."

~Psalm 36:9~

(photo source)

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, is a Christian hymn composed by the 18th Century Methodist pastor and hymnist Robert Robinson. The hymn is set to an American Folk tune known as Nettleton, by attribution to the evangelist Ashton Nettleton who composed it in the early nineteenth century. Robinson penned the words at age 22 in the year 1757. This song was sung by Clark Davis in the film Love Comes Softly based on the book of the same title by Janette Oke and is a recurring background music to the film.

I was first introduced to this hymn when I heard it sung in the film and its words pierced my heart and clung in my mind. My daughter learned to play it on her flute and once surprised me by playing it for me. When I hear the thrid line of this hymn being sung in church with all the voices of the congergation blending together in praise, it never ceases to bring tears to my eyes, praise to my tongue, and contrition to my heart.

Oh how I desire that my heart be tuned to sing of His grace, to praise Him for His never ceasing streams of mercy. I long to put aside all earthly distractions and be fixed upon Him. One of my prayers is that my wnadering heart will be bound to Him.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Sorrowing I shall be in spirit,
Till released from flesh and sin,
Yet from what I do inherit,
Here Thy praises I’ll begin;
Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;
How His kindness yet pursues me
Mortal tongue can never tell,
Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
I cannot proclaim it well.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,


Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

Praying that you will rest in His blessings this week.

Blessings,

Miss Sandy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Sandy, It always amazes me to read the history of hymns/writers. Amazing to me that someone at the tender age of 22 could pen such powerful words and that 250 years later they touch our hearts so. Thank you and bless you and your family today.

SharDon Exclusives said...

The only word I can say is:
Beautiful

Andrea said...

Dear Sandy, "Come Thou Fount" is so very beautiful. Like you, it amazes me and brings tears to my eyes. It just feels so pure. Many of the old hymns are such.

I believe that the writers had suffered much for their faith, and loved God very deeply. They didn't just know about Him, but they knew Christ intimately. That makes the difference.

Thank you for sharing. It warmed my heart to read your post this Sunday evening.

Blessings,

Andrea

Barbara H. said...

I've loved this hymn for a long time, but I had never seen or heard the last verse, or the first four lines of the second stanza and the last four lines of the third -- I've heard the remaining lines of the second and third stanzas put together as one. Funny how hymns change through the years.

There is a story along the lines that the author had gotten away from the Lord and was convicted by a lady reading or singing this hymn of his on a train.

Andylynne said...

That Hymn is also one of my very favorites. Thank you for the beautiful description on this lovely old standby. The words and music never fail to touch me.

KathyB. said...

Thank-you.

bluemuf said...

Dear Miss Sandy, Another beautiful post. I always feel so uplifted. thank you

Hugs karen

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin