HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Amazing Grace.....

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

2 Corinthians 12:9
In these last few days I am finding out what is so amazing about grace. I have learned that grace is an enabling power sufficient for progression. Grace has enabled and moved me forward through circumstances, decisions, and actions that I would have never been able to do on my own. Grace has helped me to overcome limitations and weakness. It has also been a shelter, providing temporary immunity, exemption and reprieve from grief and loss, giving me strength for others in the face of adversity. I have learned that grace is a state of being protected by the favor of God and that it is an indispensable gift.

I awoke this morning thinking about a line from the hymn, Amazing Grace. It says, "Thro' many dangers, toils, and snares I have already come. 'Tis grace that brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home." The writer of this hymn, John Newton, also knew the power of amazing grace. His life was fraught with dangers, toils, and snares, many of which were a result of his own choices and some of which were circumstances beyond his control. John led a life unrivaled to fiction. At one point in his life he was a crewman aboard a slave ship. On the evening of March 9, 1748, John, 23, was jolted awake by a brutal storm that descended too suddenly for the crew to foresee. The ship began to fill with water and the threat of sinking, in great peril, John cried out to the Lord. Amazing grace must have been a sweet
sound indeed as his fears were calmed and he survived the storm that had threatened to overwhelm him.

I identify closely with this line of the hymn as well as John's experience. On the evening of May 5, 2008, I was jolted by a life storm that descended too suddenly to be foreseen by humankind ~ death. This storm threatened to overwhelm and sink me, drowning me in sorrow and tears, sinking me into a state of depression. In my great peril, like John, I cried out to the Lord and He sustained me. His grace has brought me through safe thus far. It will also lead me home, on the path of healing and dealing with every danger, toil, and snare that might come my way. This life storm will be survived because of God's
amazing grace.

So you wonder, what is so amazing about grace? It is sufficient, enough to meet the needs of any situation. God's grace shines in our times of weakness, where we are insufficient, He is able. He enables us to trust in the power that rests upon us in the most trying of times knowing that His power will pull us through.

Today I need a hearty dose of that amazing grace. This is the day that we say our final goodbye to my beloved grandmother and once again I am certain that amazing grace will be present. It will bear us up, anchor us, enable us, and its sound will be sweet indeed.
A woman of more noble character you will not find,
her price is far above rubies.
I am so glad that she was mine,
a grandmother who never neglected her duties.

Hugs, kisses, and smiles were dispensed,
in generous heaping portions.
Prayers were lifted in our defense,
to protect from evil forces.

Gentle, caring, and kind was she,
to all who crossed her path.
She was full of life and merry,
full of fun, she loved to laugh.

A listening ear was always near,
with wise advice to follow.
Without her presence so dear,
my heart feels a little hollow.

While I will miss her very much indeed,
I've tucked her memory in my heart.
Her words of wisdom I will heed,
and from her example I will not depart.

Whenever I feel the need,
I can draw her sweetness forth.
And it will my example and source.
Of amazing grace indeed!



Amazed by Grace,
Miss Sandy

15 comments:

Vee said...

Precious is that grace indeed, Miss Sandy. The Lord will carry you through this day and may there be many smiles, even laughter, and much love amidst the tears. Your grandmother is more alive than she ever was on this earth for grace has set her free, too. I just want to wrap you up in a little cloak of warmth and love much like one of her hugs. She's never lost from your life you know, never.

Rosa said...

Hi Sandy,
Amazing Grace is one of my favorite hymns. Your post is a beautiful tribute to your grandmother.
Hugs,
Rosa

Our Hands For Hope said...

How clearly precious the Lords Grace is to us! I am sorry for your temporary loss. How joyful we can be knowing we will someday be reunited with our family in Christ!
Your words were powerful...I am co teaching a study on Grace and would like to share them with the girls that are new believes. You sumed up what an entire book is trying to teach! Thank you and peace and blessings to you and your family.
Terisa

The Feathered Nest said...

What a beautiful, beautiful post Sandy....I send you much love and hugs across the miles ~ my prayers are with you sweet friend, xxoo, Dawn

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Sweet Miss Sandy,
My heart goes out to you, as do my prayers to you and your family! God DOES give us His amazing grace. And she is with Him now experiencing it first hand.
Blessings and big hugs, Sherry

Lori said...

Miss Sandy, what a truly beautiful tribute to your grandmother and the way that she lived her life...sending hugs to you this day:)

Decor To Adore said...

Chris Tomlin's version of "Amazing Grace" never fails to bring me to tears.
Your grandmother's chains are gone,
Indeed she has been set free.

Mya said...

Miss Sandy,
So sorry about your Grandmother. She was lucky to have been loved so by you. Take care.
-Mya

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

My deepest sympathy Miss Sandy. May the Lord comfort you and your family, and may He hold your grandmother in His loving and peaceful embrace.

Hugs, Pat

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

What a beautifl testmony to your Grandmother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonita said...

Praying that grace will continue to carry you through the upcoming days, weeks, and months. It's so precious that in the midst of your pain you still shine the light to let other's know that God's grace is sufficient.

Fete et Fleur said...

I pray that His Grace is over you like a radiant garment.

Blessings! Nancy

Joanne Kennedy said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I just wanted to say I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

The love you have for her shows through your words, pain and heartbreak. For it is only when we when love deeply that we miss them so much when they are called home by God.

She has taught you well. It is clear to see that she loved you very much too.

I shall keep you and your family in my prayers.

I know you will miss her beyond words but please rest easy knowing she is now with God in Heaven and waiting for your return Home.

Continue to share her with the world for it is through our love and memories that one is never forgotten.

God bless you and yours
Joanne

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Miss Sandy...I am sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful grandmother. The one thought that sticks in my mind is, to be absent from the body is to be present with our Lord.

Amazing Grace is my all time favorite hymn and Chris's version is my all time favorite. :)

May the love of our Lord strengthen you today!

Anonymous said...

Miss Sandy ~ I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your grandmother. Along with the grace you so eloquently describe, faith will help you, too.

I know you have many loving memories of your gandmother, and I hope some you may have forgotten over time surface as you reflect on her life, her legacy, and on your love for her.

Take good care,
Arleen

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin