HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

WHERE I'M FROM.....

While visiting around blog land I came across "Where I'm From" a creative writing exercise over at Vee's (her poem) and Sand Flat Farm (her poem), which originated over at Shanda's, here (the idea behind the writing exercise)and here (her beautiful poem), based on the poem Where I'm From by George Ella Lyon. The following is my little contribution:Where I'm From
by Sandy Babb

I am from hills and hollers, and winding red dirt roads
I am from the Bible Belt where you are taught to let Jesus carry your load

I am from summer sun warmed days and springtime's gentle breezes
I am from autumns riot of color and winters deep freezes

I am from whip-o-wills
I am from ghost night story chills

I am from bare feet, pig tails, and watermelon rind
I am from eating sun warmed blackberries straight from the vine

I am from shower baths on the front lawn
I am from watching the daylight dawn

I am from crayons, paints, and glue
I am from scissors and construction paper too

I am from June bugs and fire flies in jars
I am from laying in the grass and wishing on stars

I am from cornbread, brown beans, and fried taters'
I am from poke salad, green onions, cucumbers, and fresh tamters'

I am from voices that drawl and twang
I am from fables and the ballads they sang

I am from buried deep down Southern roots
I am from lone night barn owl hoots

I am from magnolias, gardenias, and honeysuckle vine
I am from a more genteel time

I am from a broken home
I am from time alone

I am from fables and fairy tale books
I am from fear and hiding in nooks

I am from sadness, pain, and sorrow
I am from "It will be better tomorrow"

I am from syrupy Southern sweet tea
I am from God, who made me

I am from life lessons learned
I am from bridges burned

I am from mercy, forgiveness, and grace
I am from the fallen human race

I am from lost to found
I am from choosing higher ground

I am from sinner to saint
I am from "perfect I ain't"

I am from burdened and bound
I am from freedom in Him found

I am from humbled and bent
I am from much time in prayer spent

I am from a heart wounded and broken, tenderly healed over time
I am from love, compassion, and mercy divine

Blessings,
Miss Sandy

P.S. I'd love to hear where you are from. If you do this little exercise, let me know, I'd love to drop by, sit spell, and get to know you well.

18 comments:

Rosa said...

Hi Miss Sandy,
Thank you so much for thinking of me and giving me this award, it really means a lot to me...you really touch my heart!
Big hugs,
Rosa

P.S. As soon as I can I'll display my award on my blog

Decor To Adore said...

Hi Miss Sandy,

Thank you so much for the award. You are a gem.

I laughed outloud at your "Bordello Bedroom".

Now, if you really were OCD you would be CDO. Because C and D come before O. :)

Paris Rags Romance said...

Oh thank you So much, what a lovely award!! I'll post it assoon as I can thank you ever so much, Hugs, Kimberly

Lori said...

this blog post is an epic Miss Sandy:) thank you so very much for the award, you are too kind...the words you said about everyone really show the sweetness of your soul...your mailman must have been very busy bringing all of the gifts to your home, they are lovely...your poem really made my smile...as did your description of your mad organizing skills!!!

Vee said...

Oh I love that poem...perfect!

What a post!! You saved it all up and have nearly given us your magnus opus! :D

Now that you've covered all the bases, you can return to posting just what's on your heart, though I see that you've tucked that in, too. I'll say it again...you're amazing!

The Feathered Nest said...

Thank you so very much sweet Sandy!!! What wonderful things to say about me and my blog...I appreciate every encouraging word!!! You're such a sweet friend ~ xxoo, Dawn

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Sandy, first I would like to thank you for the write up. God gave you a gift of putting words together, but I didn't know you had so many talents. Your poem is beautiful.
Thank you and Hugs,
Bonnie

Fete et Fleur said...

Thank you so much Sandy! I feel honored to have received this from you!! Your blog is a constant source of uplifting inspiration for me.

Blessings to you!
Nancy

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Feels good to get caught up, doesn't it??

I'm glad you liked the earrings, thanks again for your card.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Wow, that is like Christmas, your birthday and the 4th of July all wrapped up in one for you! I love the apron.

Thanks for the award. I am glad that you are enjoying my stories. My family was certainly filled with colorful characters. It was certainly dusFUNctional! :O)

You're the best!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Sandy -- I am so honored that you thought of me! And I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other interesting-sounding blogs mentioned here.

That's quite a neat batch of goodies you got there!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I enjoyed it all and your poem was so beautiful...Have a Blessed weekend...mary

Vickie said...

Miss Sandy - enjoyed your "where I'm from". You, being the writer that you are, fashioned such a beautiful poem and tribute. I know exactly where you're from! I'm glad to know you a little better! TAke care - Vickie

Anonymous said...

Oh my - I had a good laugh when I got to the part about your grocery cart. That is sooo meeeee LOL not only do I get weird looks from the cashiers my hubby still gives me strange looks. LOL.

Hugs!!!

Chanda said...

Miss Sandy, I saw your beautiful poem. You should be so proud. You did a wonderfuly beautiful example. You are very talented. I always enjoy all the neat things you do. I read alot about you over at Vee's blog. You are a very active lady. God Bless you for this and all you do. You certainly help to keep the blog world active on it's toes.
It'been nice visiting with you and thank you for letting me know about the post.

Catherine Holman said...

Sandy,
I'm so sorry for the slow response to this blog, but I've just now had the chance to catch up with everyone. Thanks for honoring me with this award. I can't believe I've received this from a couple of other people. Coming from such a talented person means so much!
Hugs,
Cathie

Anonymous said...

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Thank you for all the kind things you said about my blog. I will mention you in my blog. You are a wonderful person and I truly love your blog.

Gerry said...

Hi Miss Sandy, Somehow my reader has not picked up your blog so stopped by. Trust all is well. I am curious about the photo of the path pictured above your poem "Where I'm From." Is that a stock photo from a website?

Thanks and blessings,
Gerry

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin