HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Warm Winter Wishes.....

"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."

~Edith Sitwell~
A chilly hello to you all! Winter has arrived here at the Quill. The frosty queen herself has draped her icy mantle over the land. With a sifting motion of her frosty fingers fell little icelette sprinkles from the sky. They clung and bonded together as they sought warmth, creating an icy carpet for the queen to glide upon. She left her icy calling card upon my very doorstep! All the inhabitants of the land were held captive in their homes, restless, wondering when they would be released from her icy grip. Queen Winter decided to tease her captive subjects a bit by sending a deceptively warm looking frosty fog blowing past her cold blue lips throughout the land. This left a frosty glaze over the trees. One could look upon its deceptive beauty and think it was a shimmering sweet sugar coating. Dwelling tops look like yummy white icing had been applied. The addition of colored Christmas lights gave them the look of fanciful gingerbread houses. This is just the beginning of the Winter Queens story....

This is a true story! It is my way of discussing the weather in our nether regions ~ nice and icy! Yes, the natives were very restless here the past two days, my people were home. Don't get me wrong, I love my people and lavish affection upon them all the time, I just want them in their places come Monday thru Friday! The first day was like a little holiday but yesterday was another story all together. I had three shadows yesterday, the one that is attached to me and the two that I kept bumping into me every time I turned around, well four, if your count the one with four legs! I heard countless times, "What are you going to do now?" "Sacrifice you to the Winter Queen if you ask me that one more time!" is what I am thinking but I sigh and patiently explain that white tighties do not magically appear in a drawer without some help, nor do bathrooms sparkle and shine on their own, nor do my people get fed through magic pots in which food appears when they become empty.

I managed to escape their shadowing for a bit when I told Handy Hubby to go play on Ebay and Darling Daughter got a call From The Young Man Who Comes To Call On Her. That kept them both busy for a while so I did some much need collage therapy! With Dame Winter on my mind, wishing she were more pretty than she was appearing right now, I decided to create a pretty little collage of how she should look.

SIDE NOTE: Never, ever, ever tell your husband to go play on Ebay! You might well remember when I got grounded from that playground, well, Handy Hubby was bidding on a YACHT! Yes ma'am, you know, a REALLY BIG BOAT that floats in the OCEAN! He said it was all in fun and he would never win ~ I think I might need to check him into Ebay Anonymous because I think being cooped up in the house made him lose his ever lovin' mind! Not to mention that he was draggin' mine right along with his! Anyway, no harm no foul, he ended up with a super duper cool electronic gadget that I am skeptical of but he is happy and I am happy because he bought himself his Christmas present and it saves me some shopping time. Have mercy the crazy things that go on in this house!

Anyway, back to discussing winter, as I was saying, Queen Winter here in the South is a dull icy gray and I thought she might be ever so much more pleasant if she were not to dress so drably and add a bit of pink to her cheeks and a nice icy French blue to her gown, topped off with a bit of softening of her cold harshness with a bit of lace, velvet, pink ruffles, and fur. (Now before you PETA people go hatin' on me, it is FAUX FUR!) She could also jazz things up with a bit of glitter and some jewels. So, I give you my yet to be completed version of WINTER:
Why did I not finish this lovely little winter assemblage you ask? Because my people got hungry and the magic pot was empty and the rumbling and grumbling from the masses brought me back to reality where things are still nice and icy. My little respite gave me glimpse of gratitude for all the pretty things in my life, like my people and the way they want to hang with me. And, the pleasure of being needed, even if it is only for whiteie tightie, bathroom sparkling, magic pot filling duty on some days. It made me grateful for a nice warm house and my people to share it with. For that cozy tucked in feeling where love surrounds you. For nice hot soup and warm buttery rolls shared with those who are dearest to me. For love, laughter, and every annoying little adventure that takes place within these walls. I suddenly found myself grateful that Queen Winter had come to call and stilled all the busyness that binds our days and allowed us some time to make warm winter memories. I came to the conclusion that winter is indeed a time for comfort, good food, warmth, and family by the fireside. It is a time for home.

Wishing you all a warm winter wishes!

Blessings,
Miss Sandy

P.S. You might be wondering what this picture is about ~ its me praying my people will stay put on Monday thru Friday for at least until after Christmas!
Oh, and don't forget to come back tomorrow for The Spirit of Giving Give Away! This is the final one in my holiday event here at the Quill so don't miss it!

17 comments:

KathyB. said...

How funny ! Your people must really know how much you love having them around, you're not fooling them !

We are enjoying real snow today and my Hubby is here with me having a 'Snow Day', the winter queen has frosted our place nicely!

Becky Bunn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind comments. Your home looks lovely. Happy Holidays

Anonymous said...

Miss Sandy, You have such a way with words and this post is just so cute! Hope you are enjoying a little peace and quiet today.

Vee said...

Oh thank you for allowing us all to say that "our people" get on our nerves from time to time. And all so lyrically, too. Loved it!

What you really needed to do was assign some serious chores to both people. S.e.r.i.o.u.s. All the things that you have no time for. Surely, your dd loves to bake? Your hubby loves to salt the drive? :D

Loved your story, will join with you in praying that everyone has something to do besides playing shadow, and that you get everything accomplished that needs doing.

Your new project is very sweet. Hope, too, that the ice storm moves along so that you won't be housebound much longer.

Susie said...

Hey Sandy I hope your "people" are back where they belong today!

I enjoyed your story much! I don't care for cabin fever much myself but sometimes it's not so bad with loved ones around.

Anonymous said...

This is a charmingly written post, Sandy.

I love your winter collage. One of the things that depresses me a little about winter is the colorlessness of it here -- mostly gray -- and I think your touches of color are perfect. I love that fabric it is resting on as well!

I'm like you as well in loving my people but wanting a little tranquil solitude sometimes as well. :-)

Lori said...

well, i discovered the secret to finding the "post a comment" when it doesn't show...i just keep clicking in the general vicinity of where i think it should be and eventually the box pops up...LOL...Miss Sandy, you have the sweetest way with words...visits to you always leave me with a warm feeling in my heart...thank you for that blessing...your collage for winter is very beautiful, i love that you used the color pink...my snowman is on display and he just looks cuter every time i look at him!!!

Anonymous said...

I love decorating your space Miss Sandy.
You have such a way with words. I adore your Queen Winter project and your shadows are like my shadows.
Thank you so much again for your giveaway. I'm so excited you have no idea.
Stay warm. We are expecting a very nasty winter storm this weekend. Hubby went out to get some goodies.
Hugs
Claudie from Canada

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Your writing is so amazing. I sure hope you are putting together a book with all your wondrous words. Yes, the snow queen has come to my home too. Jack Frost (-20) has been nipping at our noses as we step outside. It is all so beautiful and would you believe, we still have school! Think this weekend it's spose to be above zero! Thanks for stopping by and hope you and your shadows have a grand and glorious Christmas. Blessings to you!
Ele

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Miss Sandy,
Your decorations are beautiful. You can borrow any idea. The pins I sold in the shop would be displayed on trees. People really loved them. But you have to do something for me...
Please send some of your words into my brain. I love reading your blog.
Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas,
Bonnie

kathy said...

yoUR STORY IS SO LYRICAL -- OH COURSE YOUR WRITING IS WONDERFUL AND YOUR CREATIONS ARE BEAUTIFUL ALSO -- eACH ITEM IS EXQUISITE -- AND SHOWS THE CARE YOU SELECT IT WITH -- tHANK YOU FOR THE TUTORIALS -- i DO SO LOVE YOUR STYLE -- AND YOUR LIVING ROOM - DEDICATED TO THE NAMESAKE FOR WHICH WE CELEBRATE THIS SEASON HAS A PEACEFUL LOOK -- kATHY - GA
A

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Christmas Blessings Miss Sandy. What a lovely post!

bluemuf said...

Miss Sandy, I really have a wonderful way with words. I loved this sweet tale and your collage is so lovely.

Hugs Karen

Catherine Holman said...

Winter is looking beautiful! Are you sure you can't make food magicly appear in a pot?
Hugs,
Cathie

Anonymous said...

So glad you stopped by. Haven't heard from you in a while. It was a nice surprise. Loved your ebay stories....now mine is Etsy and blogging.

Warm Wishes & Coco,

KAREN EILEEN

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I am screaming with delight at that thought of Mr. Quill bidding on a yacht! Loved, LOVED the winter scene.

vikki said...

sucha delightful post! i sooo enjoyed it. a yacht huh? your creation is adorable. love visiting your blog & all your tutorials ~ they are wonderful! such encouragement & inspiration with every visit. a verryy merrie Christmas & may Gods' love & peace comfort & surround you always. hugs & blessings, vikki ♥

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin