HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Monday, March 10, 2008

HERE COMES PETER COTTONTAIL....

In preparation for Easter these next two weeks I will be posting some crafts, recipes, celebration ideas, and thoughts on the subject. Today I have bunnies on the brain. My day started out when I took a peek at Vee's Martha Stewart inspired glove bunny. Adorable! And a cute post to boot! Then I began to unpack a bit of Easter decor and much to my surprise, out hopped bunnies of every color, shape, and size. This led me on a trip down memory lane.
I pulled out my daughter's Easter basket and residing in a pink grass nest were a family of four bunnies that I had made 19 years ago! There was Papa, Mama, sister Sue, and of course, Peter was there too! This little family serves as a cover for plastic eggs into which you tuck little treats and treasures.

I lovingly cradled each one in turn in my hand and noticed they were looking a bit tired, Papa had some age spots showing. Their blushing cheeks and pink tinted ears were barely discernible and their ribbons were a bit frayed. It was time they had new Easter frocks. I gently plucked off old tatty ribbons and trims and replaced them with something new. I think I even got a wink from Papa as I used a tiny buckle and ribbon to create a belt to cover up those brownish age spots. Peter got an Easter egg and so did sister Sue. Mama got a new dress and bonnet and as well as did little Sue. Papa and Peter got new buttons and all got pink tinted ears and cheeks. They are ready to serve another season or two!


Here comes Peter Cottontail
Hoppin' down the bunny trail,
Hippity hoppity,
Easter's on its way
Bringin' ev'ry girl and boy
A basketful of Easter joy
Things to make your Easter
Bright and gay

He's got jelly beans for Tommy
Colored eggs for sister Sue
There's an orchid for your mommy
And an Easter bonnet too. Oh!
Here' comes Peter Cottontail
Hoppin' down the bunny trail
Hippity hoppity
Happy Easter Day
Look at him hop and listen to him say,
"Try to do the things you should"
Maybe if you're extra good
He'll roll lots of Easter eggs your way
You'll wake up on Easter morning
And you'll know that he was there
When you find those choc'late bunnies That he's hiding ev’rywhere, Oh!

Here' comes Peter Cottontail
Hoppin' down the bunny trail
Hippity hoppity
Happy Easter Day.
I also unearthed these little cuties and their matching baskets. I made these bunnies and baskets years ago also. These teeny tiny rabbits are only two inches tall when completed! I have used them as part of table settings, filling the baskets with small treats or hung on an Easter tree also filled with small treats. Pin backs can be glued on to make a pin. I used these little ones to decorate the handles of my children's Easter baskets, nestling one on each side of the handle in the middle of bows for my daughter and ribbon bow ties for my son.
I decided to make an updated version of the egg cover bunnies that are age appropriate for my little grandson. If you would like free full size patterns for the bunny family and/or the little bitty bunny and complete instructions please email me and I will send them to you via email. I have yet to figure out how to get a full size pattern on my blog!!! If anyone out there in blog land knows how to do this, then, please "splain" it to me!

I've been humming the above song and remembering my grandmother today. She taught me that song, we often sang it as we made the half hour drive from my house to hers. It is bittersweet some days, this unpacking of memories both the physical, like baskets and bunnies and the emotional, those that only live in the heart as those being remembered have passed on. I smile remembering all the eggs that have been dyed and carried in the basket I hold, all the childish cries of "I found one!" and giggles of glee over "tandy" that was tucked inside. My heart squeezes a little bit at not being able to exactly recall my grandmother's voice as she sang but yet I remember her laugh. It was infectious!
I close my eyes, I am here and I am there, hippity~hopping down a bunny trail of memories, knowing that Easter is on its way and I have a new generation, my gorgeous little grandson, to make memories with. I'll try to "do things as I should" and make this Easter extra good by giving out a basket full of joy to my special little boy to brighten up his day!

Blessings,
Miss Sandy

5 comments:

Vee said...

Oh this post is so sweet! It must've been wonderful fun for your children to have such a creative mom. I love your little rabbit family and would love to have the directions. (I'll be good and email.)

Hope that you are skipping off down the bunny trial to Kari and Kijsa's, if you haven't already done so. This must be added to their "Homage to Spring" list.

The Feathered Nest said...

Sandy, what a sweet, nostalgic post. Your bunnies are just precious and now all gussied up for the holiday!! I forgot to ask you what you were referring to when you asked if I took orders....wishing you a wonderful day! xxoo, Dawn

Vee said...

He's adorable...perhaps I find demented adorable, but I'm looking for a crazy looking rabbit and I can't find one! ;>

I don't have anything to blog about today. This is a rare day for me. Guess that I'll do the rounds and see if inspiration hits.

Andylynne said...

I have been catching up on your blog since the beach post. I have really enjoyed the backwards perspective. And now you are posting about the bunnies, and it is so wonderful. Spring is right around the corner in so many ways. Thank you for you insight, your laughter and your wisdom.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

I am waiting for the story that starts out with...

"Miss Sandy went Easter shopping..."

;-)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin