HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

LET'S PLAY A GAME.....

"For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of the birds is come..."

Song of Solomon 2:11-12
{A portion of a painting I did over my bedroom closet door which incorporates the above referenced Scripture.}

Today's post is dedicated to my friend, Vee of A Haven for Vee. Vee lives up North where an abundancee of snow is still present and Spring still seems like a far away dream. I live in the South where that same dream of Spring is beginning to come true. Enjoy a taste of Southern Spring Vee!

When I was a little girl I spent as much time as I could with my Grandmother in the hills and hollows of Northern Arkansas. She led a very simple life and entertained in simple ways. One of the ways she entertained my two cousins and me was to tell us folk tales of long ago, stories of her growing up years, teaching us folk ballads and mountain music, and best of all playing games with us. We played marbles, jacks, hide and go seek, and all kinds of word or rhyming games. Late of the evening as twilight set in we would sit out on the old front porch watching lightening bugs and stars blink on and listen as Granny weaved her tales of magic. We especially loved the ones we deemed scary, which sent shivers up our spines and made us afraid to sleep by the window lest the greedy green goblins should come for us.

On humid hot afternoons, the kind where the air is thick with the drone of cicadas, the buzz of june bugs, and the sighs of hunting hounds resting at your feet, we would find a spot in the shade and spread out a quilt, lie on our backs and make cloud pictures if there happened to be any, if not, we would play I spy. Granny always let us be first. We began with a little rhyme, "I spy with my little eye, something....", and then we would name a color or shape and the guessing began until the correct object was picked and the correct guesser would then be it.

This past weekend I went outside and played this very same game with my camera as my partner. The aim of the game was to find signs of Spring. So, let's play a game!

I spy with my little eye, something...green!

Perhaps it is this little tuft of grass...
Or maybe it is this bit of Scotch Moss around this stepping stone...
It could be this little Easter Lily unfurling her leaves for Spring....
It might be the blades of the Crocus which will bloom into a deep purple hue...
Or it could be stems of the sunny laughing Daffodil...
Or the Resurrection Fern that lives upon my tree...
Take your pick, Vee, which bit of green do you think I see?

I spy with my little eye, something...that is shaped a bit like a star!

Perhaps it is a teeny tiny Bluelet, also called Quaker Ladies or Innocence, the daintiest and most petite of our wildflowers, one of the first signs of Spring...
Or maybe it is the frail Spring Beauty, with its starchy bulbs which the Indians ate. It only opens its petals in the bright light and folds them up neatly when it becomes night...
It could be a charming little Buttercup, with its "varnished" butter-yellow petals...

What do you think Vee, which one will it be?

I spy with my little eye, something...that looks like crystal and sparkles like the dew!

Maybe it is this waterfall...

Or this shining, laughing creek...
Vee, of which one do you think I speak?

I spy with my little eye, something...a brilliant shade of blue!

Maybe it is this big bright sky...
Or this Jay that is perched on high...
Vee, which one will it be?

I spy with my little eye, something...with feather and wing!

Is it a White-Breasted Nuthatch...

Or a Tufted Titmouse...Maybe it is my Rooster friend...
It could be Mr. Robin with red vest on...
Perhaps it is a dangling Black-Capped Chickadee...
Or a precious little Snow Bird (Junco) who, too, is ready for Spring...
Vee, which one do you see?

The watching and the waiting will pay off you see,
For here is your reward for patience, my dear friend, Vee!

A fragrant bouquet from my garden, the very first dear blooms,
To fill your eyes with sunshine and to let you know that Spring closely looms!
I was only able to give you a small taste and touch,
Of what it is your longing for, oh so very much,

But keep watching and waiting and you too will see,
For, lo, the winter will pass, the rains will be over and gone,
The flowers will appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of the birds will come,
Just as He promised, in Song of Solomon,
Spring will arrive dear Vee!

Springtime Thoughts,
Miss Sandy

7 comments:

Judy said...

Well playing 'I spy' definitely brought back memories! It was something my grandmother also played with us.

Beautiful pictures...so nicely wrapped in words for Vee!

Vee said...

Awwww, Miss Sandy, you can not imagine how deeply touched I am...overcome might be more like it. Thank you, dear friend, for all these lovely photos, the dear words, the tender stories from your childhood. I hope that I can be the kind of grandmother that yours was! Sending you a big hug and saying thank you so much.

Heather said...

I'm glad you decided to encourage your friend Vee today. You've brightened my day too!

It's snowing and gloomy here and I'm wishing and hoping to spy some green and blue, some starry shapes and some sparkle. Thanks for sharing a bit of your spring with me.

Vickie said...

Sandy - I share the flowers and already "green" of spring here in Texas with you. What a great gift to Vee! I enjoyed playing these games with my Nanny who kept me when I was little. Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories for us today! Vickie

Pinkie Denise said...

What beautiful spring pictures Miss Sandy! I love them and ow it so true
the first signs of Spring are finally
here...I loved hearing to talk about
your Grandma. Mine grew up with us too she lived next door. My husbands
father grew up in the hollers of Northern Arkansas, Marshall I think
was name of the place...Have a wonder
filled day Pinkie Denise

Kathy said...

Miss Sandy, you have brightened my day even as you brightened dear Vee's. The pictures and stories were simply delightful.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Big, big, huge, huge...smile!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin