HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Friday, February 13, 2009

A Beautiful Bouquet Of Moments.....

Moment: a brief amount of time, an instant of weight or importance, an indefinitely short particular point in time, here and now, at this time

This week beautiful living consisted of beautiful moments. Nothing big, nothing earth shattering, nothing life changing, just little snippets of time where awareness was heightened and savored. I would love to be able to say that I am always in the moment but that would be untrue. While I might be present often my hands are busy at a task or my mind rushing ahead to what needs to be done next. I can say that I did have a few precious moments to commit to memory this week where I was wholly present and aware and it made me hunger for more.
Our tiny grandson had his first over night here this past weekend and it was pure bliss! We were not sure how he would do come bedtime but it was not a problem. While he was here everything was put aside and he was our soul focus and beautiful moments began to unfold. Blowing bubbles on the sun warmed deck was pure magic! Delighted little squeals and a happy chant of "Bye-bye bubbles" filled the air as little iridescent orbs floated off on the breeze...and in that moment, I was there.Just before bedtime we sat snuggling on the sofa wrapped in a soft blanket. A sweet soap smell from bath time perfumed the air. I breathed deeply and inhaled not only the scent but the feel of soft hair brushing my cheek. I savored the head cradled against my shoulder and the weight of a tiny little person nesting in my arms. We played the Whisper Game. At two whispering is great fun. I whisper a few words in his ear as he intently listens, a slow grin spreads as he recognizes the words and feels their meaning, and he in turn repeats what I have whispered to him. In that moment, I was there...nothing else existed but little sentiments of love being passed through the air on puffs of breath.At bedtime I sat beside him as my grandmother had sat beside me and sang the same ballads that poured from her lips soothing me into the land of dreams. I watched his face as he began to relax, long eyelashes fluttered against his cheek, a little half grin quirked at one corner of his mouth, a last contented sigh released as he sailed off with Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod in their wooden shoe on a river of crystal light into a sea of dew. I felt the richness of this tradition. I wondered how many generations of my family had sung those same ballads to their children and their grandchildren. I knew that I had heard stories of as far back as five generations passing along these same songs and in that moment, I was there...connected to the women of my family, some of which I knew and some of which I only knew through stories.Mid-week often finds me doing laundry, not a favorite task to be sure. As I often do when putting away laundry I allow myself little nourishing drinks of the outside world by casting glimpses at the ever changing living landscapes perfectly framed by my windows. I stopped and startled as I locked gazes with a deer standing on my sidewalk peering in through the full view glass in my front door. I regarded her and she regarded me in the same curious manner. She tilted her head side to side then moved her head up and down craning her neck as if she were trying to get a better view. I suddenly felt like an animal at the zoo being viewed by a curious onlooker. In that moment, I was there...it suddenly felt comical to me, laughter bubbled to the surface and burst forth in pure joy, she startled and bounded away.The laundry task was much more pleasant after this encounter, as the day progressed memories flooded my mind of annual summer trips to the zoo with the cousins, aunts, uncles, and my grandmother. And in the moment, I was there...in my minds eye I was once again a little girl in braids, signature red t-shirt, denim shorts, and white canvas sneakers walking through the zoo holding my grandmothers hand, craning my neck to get a better view of some exotic animal, tilting my head side to side examining reptiles in glass cases, feeding peanuts to the elephant, with sticky rainbow snow cone juice running down my forearm and dripping off my elbow.

Beautiful moments, brief spans of time, wrapped up in the present intertwined with the past, a beautiful, fragrant, colorful bouquet of moments. Each one savored, cherished, and filed away in my heart where they will keep forever.To enjoy how others are experiencing beautiful living or to share you own beautiful life goals visit Melissa at The Inspired Room for her link up post today. Don't miss out on Melissa's post today, it is on her amazing experience and the perspective she gained during her recent speaking engagement at Blissdom '09. Melissa served on a panel that shared their thoughts on successful blogging. There is some really rich advice in her post today. Thanks so much, Melissa, for hosting!

Wishing you all beautiful moments,
Miss Sandy

Photos: Gorgeous Grandson's tiny hands learning to use his new bubble blower. A few blooms from my grandmothers garden this past summer, the last she would see bloom here on this earth.

25 comments:

Teresa said...

Your recounting you grandchild stay brought tears to my eyes- with grandchildren that live "states" away I know the true joy it is to have them come stay and how precious moment is-
Thanks for the beautiful pictures and comments-
Happy Day

Becky K. said...

Ok. So, I am blinking back tears at the beauty of your experience with your grandson. What a gift you have with words.

The photos are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing from your week.

Anonymous said...

Sandy, I too am fighting tears reading your post this morning. I feel a mixture of JOY at the thought of you cradling your little grandson and SADNESS at your sorrow over missing your sweet Grandmother. So happy you have such wonderful memories and traditions to pass along. God bless.

Anonymous said...

So beautifully written. I am in awe of such wonderful memories. Have a great friday.
Lorri

Susie said...

Oh my goodness these are such sweet thoughts and memories Sandy. How nice you got to spend some magical time with your little grandson.

Reading your words conjured up some sweet memories for me of my grandparents as well. Thanks much. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and Happy Valentines day to you!

Vee said...

Thank you for providing all these sweet moments so that we could share in them, too. My grands have yet to have an overnight...I always go to them...so I found this aspect so dear...and speaking of dear...your thinking of yourself as the animal in a cage made me laugh, too!

Still Learning said...

What a beautiful post!! So sweet and true,staying in the moment. Ah, just what I need to do more of. Sounds like you had a wondeful visit with your grandchild.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Your beautiful photographs make me yearn for summer. My in-laws were just saying last night that there is nothing quite like the love they have for their grandchildren. When I see them with my children, my heart breaks with joy. What a gift to have these special moments with your "grand" son.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

These photos actually lowered my heart rate...and my crazy thoughts which were coming a hundred miles an hour. Then when I read everything I couldn't help myself...I'm grinning. I love it that you paused so often this week and breathed in the moment. I'm going to do that today...
Blessings~

Lorrie said...

What beautiful words telling of living and enjoying each moment. How I need to remember to do just that!

Lorrie

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I came over to tell you that you aren't the only one in blogdom, whom Vee 'kept in the dark'... about her blossoming romance with The Carpenter. You were remembering a past Tea Party, which Vee had for him... :-)

And I find that you have a perfectly lovely on-line-journaling place here. My yes.

Your today entry is so precious, in so many ways. Thank you, for it.

Aunt Amelia
"Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale." ~Anon.

Fifi Flowers said...

GREAT photos of flowers!

KathyB. said...

The time spent with our grandchildren is so very special and I too sing to my grandchildren songs my family sang when we were little and songs I sang to my own children. I don't know how far back the songs were sung in our family, but the songs themselves are quite old! Links to family AND our shared history.

A deer gazing IN at you! That is a wonderful moment, and gift from God!Made me laugh.

Becky K. said...

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for popping by Hospitality Lane today. In answer to your question about how I make bread...it has always been with the help of a breadmaker...may be again...but I want to try it the old fashioned way and see if I like it.

Vicki Page said...

Miss Sandy, how nice to have your grandson for the night. Really enjoyed your post you have a way with words and loved the pictures.
Vicki

Anonymous said...

I love that you are cherishing routine. And time with your grandson is so precious, too. It is so good not to take for granted what we have. Thank you for sharing these beautiful thoughts from your beautiful life. ~Arleen

Holly said...

That was beautiful! I could actually feel you taking in the moment.

Myrnie said...

Beautiful, and how wonderful to have these moments with your grandson!

You have a gift with that camera, the photos are wonderful.

Quirky Cottage Owners said...

Beautifully expressed. Yes, just when I was ready to "check out" because I had done what I most wanted to do in life -- raise children -- along came grandchildren and I never knew such happiness. It's the best of life.
Rita

vikki said...

soo, soo lovely! the photos of the flowers & wording is just beautiful! the mundane of folding laundry into something of beauty of nature. & of course the gorgeous image of your grandson. thru the tears i could smell the scent of the hair & images you paint soo well with words. i am soo blessed to see our grandson about once a week or more & we git a stay-over this coming week*end. the time with them is soo precious ~ a true gift from God. thank*u for passing on your lovely gift of images & words to us. hugs & blessings, vikki ♥

Gwendolyn said...

What a beautifully serene place to be - here in your blog with your words of blessing! Thank you

Catherine Holman said...

Beautiful photos and beautiful words! Thanks for sharing from your heart.
Hugs,
Cathie

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, my heart is bursting with happiness for your beautiful moments! It warms my heart to hear that you treasured each one, how fleeting they are! You painted a lovely picture of what it means to live a beautiful life.

blessings,
melissa

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Such a beautiful post.

Lindsay said...

Wow!! Nice pictures of those fresh flowers!! I too have nice collection of spring flowers pictures!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin