HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Friday, April 3, 2009

Beauty Is In The Eye of the Beholder.....

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
~Margaret Wolfe Hamilton Hungerford~

One of my Beautiful Life goals is, "...refraining from ordinary business as usual to enjoy little moments of beauty..." I readily admit that five days of being sick is not exactly the way in which I meant to refrain from ordinary business as usual, but, it was not without its beautiful moments.

Tender concern from my family and friends made me feel beautifully cared for. The arrival of a special package from a blog friend on an emotionally rocky day was the highlight of my
week! It's beautiful message touched the deep places of my soul and renewed my hope. Being able to share A Woman Inspired with a couple of dear ladies made me feel beautifully useful even from my sick bed. Their excitement is contagious! It's not too late to be beautifully inspired by the line up of speakers for this event.Most of the week here it rained and stormed but today the skies cleared, the sun came out, and the woods surrounding Quill Cottage burst to life with more signs of sweet spring. Lot's of sweet moments to savor here this week. Does anyone know what this pretty pink woody stemmed plant is?
This afternoon I felt well enough to totter out to the edge of the woods to the nearest wild dogwood and get at least one good look at it in all its glory before the blooms fade. I stood under that tree reveling in the sunshine and remembering a beautiful old legend, perfect for remembering with Easter drawing near...
THE LEGEND OF THE DOGWOOD
An old and beautiful legend has it that, at the time of the crucifixion, the dogwood was comparable in size to the oak tree and other monarchs of the forest. Because of its firmness and strength it was selected as the timber for the cross, but to be put to such cruel use it greatly distressed the tree. Sensing this, the crucified Jesus in his gentle pity for the sorrow and suffering of all said to it: "Because of your sorrow and pity for My sufferings, never again will the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a gibbet (cross). Henceforth it will be slender, bent and twisted and its blossoms will be in the form of a cross -- two long and two short petals. In the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints -- brown with rust and stained with red -- and in the center of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see this will remember."

On the way back to the house I plucked a handful of these...I buried my nose in their sweet heady scent deeply inhaling the smell of spring. I placed them in one of my damaged diva's (head vases), and now she sports a pretty purple posy chapeau! Any given week might not look exactly like what we expected, but if we look hard enough at what we have been handed, we are sure to behold some sort of beauty. To some eyes my week might not have been so great filled with sickness, emotional upheaval, and damp depressing weather. I made the choice to behold the beauty of the smallest of blessings and it brightened my vision for what is to come, little touches from heaven that remind me that sorrow, sickness, pity, and suffering are a part of my world, but, there is always the brightness of tomorrow to look forward to.

To see how others found beauty in their week pop over to visit Melissa of The Inspired Room. Have a great weekend!

Blessings,
Miss Sandy

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked up Lily of the Valley tree and saw something similar. We have this growing in the woods here.

Melly said...

I'm glad your feeling a little better. It's wonderful that you are taking the time to see beauty in everyday things no matter how you feel. I'm always amazed at just how much beauty is out there for us to drink in. To know that everything was bought to life with a word from God, that is so magnificent. Rest in His arms as He brings healing to your body allow His love to saturate you each and everyday.

Your His Beautiful and precious Princess!

Hugs
Melly:)

Oh I almost forgot I want to share this quote from Helen Keller I'm sure you've probably heard it before:)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ... but are felt in the heart.

Andrea said...

Ms. Sandy, I am so sorry you have been sick this week. Hopefully, you are on the mend, but please do take care of yourself and don't overdo. Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures and the legend of the dogwood. I was familiar with the legend but didn't know it very well. It's beautiful. Have a wonderful, blessed weekend.

Andrea

Susie said...

Sandy I didn't know you were sick again. Hope you are much better. Thanks for posting the story of the Dogwood. I had read something like that but couldn't remember it.

Vee said...

From one Friday to the next so many things happen. I hope that you have safely passed through this recent upset both emotionally and physically. It's time for some sun to shine. (Isn't the weather depressing? Ackkk...)

Have been sitting here thanking God for providing such a graphic (via our darling friend Dawn, of course) that spoke to you in such a positive way.

Love you...take care!

SharDon Exclusives said...

I came again, to your blog to be refreshed and I was! Thank you for sharing that wonderful story. I am keeping you in my daily prayer list. Please take good care of the wonderful temple that the Lord has given, rest in the Lord, for HE is good. Tks, dear soul...sharon

Cheptoek said...

Sandy, thank you for sharing this legend. I knew nothing of it. How precious. It has touched me so.
May the good Lord heal you and give you peace.

Myrnie said...

I hope you feel better soon! That was a lovely story about the dogwoods- they're one of my favorite Spring time trees :)

KathyB. said...

I had never heard of or read the legend of the dogwoods, now I will think of it when I see ours in bloom.

I ,too , hope you are on the mend.

bluemuf said...

My dear Miss Sandy. I hope you are finally starting to feel better all around. I love how you can always find precious little moments of beauty in every situation. I enjoyed the Legend of the Dogwood, and the lovely violets look right at home in your head vase.

I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Hugs karen

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. And that the sun shone. And that Vee raised your spirits, with her sweet gift.

Gentle hugs,
Aunt Amelia

La Tea Dah said...

You are inspired AND inspiring!

LaTeaDah

Shopgirl said...

Dear Miss Sandy, Thank you for the sweetness of this spring.
Hugs, Mary

Laura ~all about Pretty! said...

Hi Miss Sandy, it's been awhile since I've been to visit and I've missed your pretty blog and lovely stories like the story of the Dogwood. Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed Easter!

Tu-de-lu,
Laura

Anonymous said...

I always love the dogwood story.Hope you get better really soon. Is your pink plant an azalea?
Love the lady head vase, too.She is so pretty.
Blessings, Sarita

Anonymous said...

A lovely post. I enjoyed stopping by for a little visit. You are welcome to visit at Rose Cottage, too.

Hope you will feel stronger every day.

Blessings,
Debbykay at Rose Cottage Gardens and Farm

kathy said...

A lovely post - feel better soon !! Kathy-ga

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I sure pray you will be all on the mend soon. Your positive attitude always inspires me!

blessings!!!!
melissa

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin