HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, A Flea Marketing I Did Go!

"Je I'ai tonjours dit et senti, la v'eritable jouissance ne se de'crit point."

"I have always said and felt that true enjoyment can not be described."
Rousseau - Confessions VIII

I did a little Flea Market shopping yesterday as I had a free afternoon. I love Flea Marketing, it gives me a pleasure I cannot describe to go poking around in old stuff. I prefer old things to new things. I like the character, history, and often the uniqueness of the things I find and use. My mother-in-law, who is now deceased, never understood this about me, she used to say, "Been there, had that, and hated it!" She only bought new things with the one exception of a glassware collection of green Fostoria and pressed glass. I have one of her cups and saucers from her collection and it sits by its flea market companions and they get along quite nicely. Every time I look at it or use it I think of her fondly. Yes, I am one of those people who uses my stuff! My little Flea Market foray was inspired by a visit to Chez Fifi the other day. If you have ever met Fifi you know she is the queen of bling and her chosen palette includes what else, but pink!, with lots of aqua, and metallic finishes, topped off with glittering jewels and glamorous luster. You must visit her and see what she is doing with her non-traditional Autumnal decor. I took a cue from Fifi and decided to ditch the dark rich colors, which I do love and to look for some things for my dining nook to use for Autumn decor that would keep within a softer color scheme rather than the rich strong traditional Autumn colors which don't work so well in my home. I also wanted to keep the decor within a floral scheme mixed in with traditional elements. So I set off with an open mind where at my first stop I found the inspiration piece for my little nook, this pair of vintage drapes for $3.75. Since I only have one very large window, the one pair are perfect for flanking the sides.I loved the soft colors and that they are floral. I want to use the harvest gold, acidic green, butter yellow, and soft peachy pumpkin color for my Autumn palette. One drape has a small vertical slit across it close to the bottom. I will visit the fabric store tomorrow and hope to find a piece of velvet and some trim to sew across the bottom of the curtains and I may make a center valance to put between the panels.

Another find I got were these little pumpkin mugs and leaf saucers. I got all eight plus a big o'l ugly ceramic tray for $2.35. (I begged the lady to keep the tray but she laughed and said, "No deal! It's a conversation piece anywayThe strange thing is that I don't usually go for theme type items but I really liked these and they matched the soft peachy pumpkin color in the drapes. I can imagine serving a warm rich creamy Pumpkin Soup or a Pumpkin Custard in these or maybe a cup of coffee flavored with pumpkin Pie Coffee Creamer (this spicy mix would make a great gift!) or better yet a spicy Pumpkin Pie Latte topped off with whipped cream and sprinkle of spices, yum! (See recipes at the end of this post, enjoy!) Maybe they will hold little pumpkin scented votive candles and illumine each place setting or they may hold little bouquet's of mums and a place card for each setting. Who knows, the possibilities are endless. This brings me to my number one Flea Marketing rule, I rarely buy an item unless I can think of three uses for it, I also rarely come home without an item (I can get really creative if I really want something!)
These little pumpkin cups and leaf shaped saucers also came with a story and I like a good story. These were made by the booth owner's Grandmother. When her Grandmother was 89 years old and she decided to take a ceramics class and these were a part of the things she made in the class. She passed away recently and she had an over abundance of these type items. The family had taken all they wanted and the rest were being sold. The granddaughter told me that her Grandmother was a spry little lady with a quick wit and an intense interest in trying new things. So they seemed special to me that they were made by the hands of sweet dear little lady who took an active interest in life and learning.
I also purchased this little sewing box for $3.50. I have a couple of these in different colors and I like to use them in my studio space and bedroom for storage. This one is a little lumpy and bumpy and a bit saggy with age (aren't we all!) but still useful. I may use this one as part of my Autumnal table as a base for a center piece.I got this wooden wall box with all its cute little cubbies for $8.00! I love the color and each cubby is the perfect size for holding CD's. I plan to use it in my studio space for holding my photo CD's and to display some of my handmade mini books or maybe in my writing cottage for displaying some of my shells and photos from my travels, I'll see where it fits best.
I picked up these darling little spoons and their wooden holder for $3.00, (hate the holder so I think I will paint it), that I plan to use them as jam spoons when serving brunch.













And last but not least I got this little vintage oval framed cupid photo.

She has a copyright date of 1897, by M. B. Parkinson at the bottom of the picture. This is one of a set entitled, "Cupid Awake and Asleep" and is in mint condition. The frame is a wood effect painted metal frame measuring 8.5 c.m. x 6.5 c.m. The print is in the sought after sepia tones with cheeks and hair hand tinted, under the original wavy glass.

Little is known about M. B. Parkinson, a New York photographer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He formed the Parkinson Art Co. in the early 20th century and a few years later sold the rights for the "Cupid Awake and Asleep" to Taber Printing Company.
The model for this photo was Josephine Anderson, the daughter of one of his friends. She was four years old when this photo was taken and she modeled for him for many years. Some of the photos are in the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. The later prints of Josephine are also very sought after collectibles. She died in the 1970's.

Isn't she a doll! She was a purchase of heart. Here is where my number one Flea Marketing rule fails, when the heart gets involved. I saw her and she immediately won my heart, after all is that not her job? I have no idea where she will reside but I knew she was mine! She was a bargain at $4.95! Now that I know she is part of a set I will pursue reuniting her with her little sleeping companion.

I hope you enjoyed my bargains, I will post pictures of the before and after dinning nook when I get it finished this weekend. My original intent after finding the drapes was finding eight salad plates in the drapery colors to use in a mix and match table setting along with my some of my off white dishes, and possibly some place mats, napkins, or a table cloth. I guess this means another shopping spree!

RECIPES:


SIMPLE PUMPKIN SOUP
1/2 cup onion
3 Tablespoons butter
2 cups mashed cooked pumpkin
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half or fat free half and half

Chop the onion and gently brown with butter in a pan. Put mashed pumpkin with onion in a sauce pan. Add salt, sugar, nutmeg, and pepper. Slowly add chicken broth and heat thoroughly, but do not boil. To serve pour into a tureen and add the cream. Makes 4 to 6 small servings


PUMPKIN CUSTARD
2 cups pumpkin or cooked yams
2 eggs
1/4 cup Bisquick
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 large can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey

Assemble ingredients in electric blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into custard cups that will fit into a large baking pan. Fill bottom of baking pan with 1/2 to 1 inch of hot water and bake at 350 degrees until a knife inserted in the center of the fullest one comes out clean. This will take in the neighborhood of 30 minutes. Cool. This can be served with a rich milk or is delicious with a side of vanilla ice cream.


PUMPKIN PIE COFFEE CREAMER
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon all spice
1 cup non-dairy creamer

Combine all ingredients well and store in an airtight container.

This mix can be packaged and would make a great gift. I have sealed it in small zip bags and put it in small burlap bags that I stitched up and tied the top off with a bit of raffia and a silk autumn flower, and using a simple pre-made tag from the office supply store and a rubber stamp to create a sweet and spicy treat for adults at Halloween.


PUMPKIN PIE LATTE RECIPE
1 Tablespoon canned pumpkin
2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/2 cup strong coffee or 1/4 cup espresso


In sauce pan, heat milk and pumpkin until steaming. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Put mixture in blender and blend for 15 to 20 seconds until thick and foamy. Pour into tall glass and add coffee or espresso. Add a dollop of whipped cream and top with a sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice or ground nutmeg and savor the flavor! Makes 1 serving.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Greetings!

I am coming by way of French Garden House. (I have visited her before, but tonight I read one of her posts on the Victoria forum.) Anyway, I am delighted to meet you. She said some wonderful things about you and I can see why!

I love your flea market finds! The price is right, that's for sure! I especially enjoyed your commentary. Also, thank-you for the pumpkin recipes! My hubby is a HUGE pumpkin fan and these recipes look yumcious!

Blessings to YOU,
KJ

Andylynne said...

Oh you made my morning Miss Sandy. I went shopping, had a pumpkin Late, and fell in love with cupid.
I love your curtins they are so pretty! The wonderful treasures you brought home, and the stories that went with them is my idea of a nearly perfect day. Not just the shopping but the sharing of infomaiton and the joy in learning new things.
Your blog is delightful Thank You for sharing your day.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

my goodness, you get such fabulous things for prices I never see around California! Maybe I should move.:)

I love all of your finds...and thanks so much for the yummy pumpkin recipes, can't wait to try some of them.
hugs, lidy

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin