HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Thursday, October 18, 2007

The "Tricks" on Me and the "Treats" on Her!

"But my God shall supply all your need......"

Philippians 4:19
While visiting over at Blissful Elements the other day I came across a piece of art that Kris did and I knew it would be a perfect gift for someone on my Christmas list. I contacted her to see if it was for sale but sadly it was not. So I had an idea that if she would let me use her graphic that I could make a creation of my own for the gift. So I asked her if I could use her graphic and the sweetheart sent me not one but two! Well, I felt a little like a dope at this point when I read down further in her blog that this graphic was a part of a CD that she sells! I was a little embarrassed at asking her for its use and not sure what to do, so I decided that I would contact her again and send her a nice little thank you gift for her generosity. She said that it was not necessary but how about we do a Halloween Swap and I readily agreed.

I have to tell you that the "trick" was on me at this point. Oh dear, I don't do Halloween crafts and decor and I didn't have any or at least many supplies to use for such a project. I should have thought of that before I said OK! She told me a few things she would send in the swap and I panicked, what was I going to send in return?

I found myself scrambling around my studio space digging in cupboards and bins for anything that resembled this holiday's colors. I found a bag of feathers that had a few orange and black ones in it. I did have some card stock, some bits of yarn, ribbon, and trims, and some tissue paper and little brown bags that I often use to make up quick gift bags. I also remembered a graphics program I have that would provide me with some images to use.

I tell her a few of the items that I will send along with some surprise goodies, ( I must confess even I did not know at this point what the "surprise" goodies would be, they would be a surprise for me too!). So I set off on my crafting journey with what little I had to work with still feeling I needed something more. I paid a visit to my mail box, (I do this for procrastination purposes, it's quite the hike out to the road and back and helps to clear the cobwebs from my brain). Divine intervention had smiled upon me. What to my wondering eyes should appear but a package of complimentary scrapbook items in the theme of Halloween cheer!

I fairly floated back up the drive counting my blessings that I now had what I needed to do what I said I would. I left procrastination at the door mat where I wiped my feet and tripped lightly down the hall to the task at hand and I feel it was a success because what I needed was supplied when I needed it. While working on the promised projects, I was thinking how this little crafting adventure was just another life lesson for me.

I often feel totally unequipped for a task that I have made a commitment to when I don't feel I have the ability or supplies to carry it out, yet I know it is the right thing for me to do. I might have bits and pieces of ability, talent, skills, or knowledge, but it is not quite enough for the task at hand. This can cause me to lapse into procrastination mode. I forget that I am relying upon my own abilities and trying to scramble around and supply my own needs when I have a divine supplier ready, willing, and able to give me what I need at the moment I need it. This always takes me by surprise just like the supplies in my mail box, they were not there until I had a need. These supplies not only met my current need but they were a blessing to someone else.

I continued on my crafting journey and found it fulfilling, fun, and satisfying, with a dose of excitement building up at being able to gift someone else with my divine supplies. This is how it works, the more we lean on Him and the less we rely on ourselves and our abilities the more joy the journey takes on. When we are out of our comfort zone, as I was with this project, it is often the time we soar and find great fulfillment, satisfaction, and yes even fun in what we are doing.

Don't peek Kris, the "treat" is on you, below are the blessing I wish to bestow upon you, enjoy!











Dear readers, I wish to bless you also, so here is the recipe I sent Kris and the instructions for the little pumpkin sweet treats, enjoy!

CREAMY PUMPKIN FUDGE:

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/3 cup evaporated milk

1/2 cup canned pumpkin

2 Tablespoons butter or margarine

1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1/4 teaspoons salt

2 cups miniature marshmallows

1 package (12 ounces) vanilla baking chips

1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (I prefer pecans)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line a 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil over 2 sides of pan; grease foil. Butter sides of a heavy saucepan. Combine sugar, evaporated milk, pumpkin, butter, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat; boil 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add marshmallows and chip, stir until melted. pour into prepared pan. Chill until firm. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.Yields: about 4 dozen pieces of fudge (4 gifts)

PUMPKIN SWEETS:

For these little pumpkin sweets you will need:

Mini Reeses Peanut-butter cups

Orange crepe paper

Green and brown chenille stems

Cut crepe paper into 5-inch squares. In the center of each square place a mini peanut-butter cup and turn another on upside down on top of it. Gather the crepe paper up around the candy and twist. Use a brown chenille stem and twist around gathered paper at the top to form a stem and clip excess away. Using 1/2 of a green chenille stem, twirl it around a small object like a bamboo skewer, dowel, paintbrush handle, etc. to create curls. Twist curls around brown stem base to create a vine effect.

Wishing each of you dear readers joy for your journey, divine supply for your needs each day, a renewed excitement for you calling, satisfaction and fulfillment in that call, and a renewed sense of fun as you become a blessing to those around you.

Blessings,

Miss Sandy

Photos: Halloween swap goodie for Kris: Gift bags, tags, and tissue paper; Recipe for Pumpkin fudge to enclose in the bags; a Halloween themed quilted pop-up ATC and envelope, Halloween cards and envelopes, some tags, and some little pumpkin sweet treats, all enclosed in a black box.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Sandy --
What a joy it is to visit your cottage. What a beautiful reminder that He always knows what we need, just when we need it. I tend to procrastinate as well when something is a little daunting. Sometimes it is the procrastination itself that makes it seem so much bigger than it is. Our lives with him truly are a step at a time....walking,some days we take two steps forward and two steps back, but as long as we keep walking and be still to his voice no matter how much noise is distracting us. "Martha, Martha,, The Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed." Luke 10: 41-42.
You are bright spot in my day Miss Sandy. His light shines through you!

Becky K. said...

Miss Sandy,
Thank you so much for the encouraging words to my son, Jonathan. It was nice to have you visit.

I love this post so much! The sweet pumpkin peanut buter cups are adorable and would be a huge hit here. I am not much for halloween decor but love fallish things and that fits in so well!

I also love how you give God the credit due Him for His watch care over the cares of our lives. Beautiful.

Blessings!
Becky K.
Hospitality Lane

Helen Read said...

I love visiting Quill Cottage too! There is always plenty of wonderful inspiration and spirit here :)
Thanks for your kind comments on Brushstrokes, etc. too!!

Pinkie Denise said...

Hello Miss Sandy,
I read your about me page. It is so
beautiful. It touched my heart. What
a testimony to Our Father God! I love your blog. So glad I visited we are
kindred spirits in more way than one,
Have a blessed day. Pinkie Denise

Sharon said...

Wow I'm so impressed with your crafting skills, love everything.

violetlady said...

Miss Sandy, what a lovely blog you have. I found you from Lidy at French Gardenhouse. I'll be back!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Sandy,

I can only agree with what some of my favorite ladies have already written. It is a joy to visit your cottage full of the spirit of the Lord, goodness, kindness, fun and great ideas!
xo Lidy

Decor To Adore said...

Dear Miss Sandy,

I know I will be making these next October for my son's holiday party at school.

Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin