HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Friday, September 19, 2008

Words and Birds Converge....

What fuels your imagination? What fires up your creativity? For me in recent weeks it has been a mixture of the written word and simple stones like these...
I decided to step into a creative realm foreign to me and use mixed media art as an illustration for a poem I wrote. I have never done this before and found it to be a fun if not somewhat frustrating challenge. The overall project was fun but getting a stone head attached to soft sculpted body was maddening! Handy hubby had a hand in this project also as he built the frame to my specifications and did a wonderful job!
This piece is a play on words and the writing process that compares them to birds. This stone sparked my imagination and took it on a flight of fancy when I found it. Immediately I knew this was a Shakespearean ravens head and I could see him strutting his way across a stage much as words do across a page. Without further ado, I give you, "WORDS".
(click on images to enlarge for better viewing)
My thoughts are tumbling,
Words are jumbling,
Weaving through my mind.All a swirl,
They twist and twirl,
A clear thought I cannot find.Where do these words,
Like little birds,
Come from?
Upon wings they explore,
Dip and soar,
As they go and come.
They stop and rest,
In mind’s nest,
Waiting to hatch.
They come of age,
In gilded cage,
Seeking out the latch.
Gliding unfettered,
Boldly lettered,
They flit upon the page.

The words dart and dance,
And then they prance,
Across their clean white stage.
They take flight,
With all their might,
As they wing their way to freedom.
Words written,
With them I am smitten,
Oh, how I love to release them!
May you too find your muse and create something beautiful this weekend!

Blessings,
Miss Sandy

18 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Sandy, you say the sweetest things...and to see your amazing writing paired with your beautiful artwork is a JOY!!! Spread those creative wings girl ~ I'm sure this is the first of many wonderful assemblages, BRAVO sweet friend, xxoo, Dawn

Fete et Fleur said...

I'm speechless Sandy! This creation is incredible!! Wonderful ~ Wonderful~

Hugs!
Nancy

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Lovely, Miss Sandy!

Vee said...

I am constantly amazed by how your mind bends...this is so incredibly creative!

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Sandy, you are so creative! From a rock to a raven's head! Amazing outcome! Wish you had the pink rolling pin! Thanks for stopping by.

Miss Rhea said...

Wow, Love That !! I am such a visual person, that really spoke to me. How I long to be a Bird now. :)

Flower said...

Nice work! There is so much to see and understand.

Jessi Nagy said...

eeeekkkk so gorgeous!!
love it.
i love that hammered metal heart tray.
awesome.
oxoxoox,
jessi

vikki said...

love your creativeness!! you did a wonderful job with the words & the altered art mix! it is fun how u can look at something & see what it may become. a God given talent! looking forward to seeing more, m'dear! hugs & blessings, vikki ♥

SweetAnnee said...

Oh my gosh..the words and the images are AWESOME..I'm so glad
to have found your blog..and thanks for visiting mine!!!

I'm going to add you to my faves!!!
deena

Decor To Adore said...

This post reminded me of Sandra Evertson. (She is in my kindred spirits section.)
Well done!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

This post is amazing. So creative.

Susie said...

I always look forward to seeing what's going on at Quill Cottage. You are such a creative, gifted person.

Unknown said...

Hi Miss Sandy, I don't know if you got my email. Please email me if you still want my little birdie in the shoe...lm.sm@comcast.net Laurie

Heather said...

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. I love the creation you've made with such care and the words that accompany it.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Miss Sandy!
What creativity! This was very interesting Miss Sandy, quite awesome to be exact!!
Stop by, I'm having my 100th post giveaway!!
Hugs, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Miss Sandy, the words the art simply lovely! Vicki Page

Catherine Holman said...

That is truly amazing Sandy!
Hugs,
Cathie

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin