HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Friday, November 18, 2011

MORE JOURNAL PAGE PROGRESS...

I had a little snippet of time to work on my fabric nature journal page and got the base of the page complete.  This will be 12 inch by 12 inch journal.  That feels like a nice size to work with to have lots of room to create and design with...
I turned the background into a series of pockets.  The artwork on the front is one large pocket...

The fabric behind it is divided into two pockets...



The lace acts as a hidden journal tag pocket...
With a gentle tug on the ribbon tab, out slides the journal tag...
I stitched torn fabric strips to the tag as journal lines, making the tag double sided for more journal space...

That is all the play time I have been able to spare.  Next I want to tweak the design and create some artwork to store in those pockets.

Some of you expressed wishing you could try your hand at making a fabric journal but don't feel secure in your sewing skills.  This is EXACTLY the kind of project you can practice on.  I think the imperfections make the design so much more interesting than perfectly lined and placed stitches.  Take a close gander at mine, nothing is straight or perfectly placed, I think that is what gives it charm and that rustic feel.  I encourage you to give it a try!

Thank you so much for all the sweet words of encouragement that helps to spur on my creativity.  I hope each of you enjoy a beauty filled weekend!

Blessings,
Sandy

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your creativity, Sandy. I see so much potential to have some fun with this idea. I love all the hidden pockets. I may just have to try my hand at a fabric journal...
Elaine

Martina said...

What you make is a feast for my eyes to look at !!
Well done!!

Robin said...

Looks beautiful Sandy! Everything you create and or decorate is always a treat for the eyes :) Have a great weekend.

Hugs,
Robin

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful, Sandy! I am inspired to create! Thank you and have a blessed weekend!

Gail said...

Sandy,
I'm so loving your journal, I've needed a good excuse to get my sewing machine fixed....I think you've given it to me!

Createology said...

Your fabric journal page is fantastic. I love how you have incorporated pockets for mementos and journaling bits. Thank you for sharing.

Vee said...

Though the terms obviously mean something specific, I don't know them. I do know that it's clever and dear and looks ancient though it has only recently been "born."

Unknown said...

Love your fabric journal Sandie, just wonderful and inspirational. Hope you can pop by my Heartful Creations blog and see my fabric family journal, it is a work in progress and I will need to stop so I can make a few smaller ones for holiday gifts! So much fun, my favorite medium to work with fabric and photos and creations. Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving! Marilou

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh, this one is truly lovely! I'm afraid I would get no use from it but the decorating of my room, because I would display it as the work of art that it is!
Just gorgeous!
Patti

Dorthe said...

Dear Sandy, so much beautiful work, I love the lace pocket, and how you made the tags with torn fabric, and your sweet nest in the seambinding.
And what else than birds and feathers could live in this beautiful home of yours.
Wish you a happy week-end.
Hugs and love Dorthe

Unknown said...

Oh this is just stunning! I absolutely adore the piece! Talent galore! :)

Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Your journal is beautiful- and you are so right about this type of journal being a great way to practice your sewing skills. I'm not a great seamstress but I really enjoy working with fabric- any imperfections see to fit right in with these hand made journals.

Kameel huise tussen spore said...

Sandi this is wonderful. You have inspired me! Congrates on a beautiful project. Will follow your progress. Very interesting.

Shopgirl said...

Nature is so beautiful, and you have done some really sweet things here. Happy Thanksgiving, Mary

Tina said...

Love the details Miss Sandy ;o)
That´s exactly why it´s so much fun making fabric journals - gives you lots of room to practice and experimenting
Have a beautiful sunday
xo Tina

Lovey said...

Love it all Sandy...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin