HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Monday, November 24, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook Journal Entry.....

Happy Monday to all! This week is going to be full of fun and festivity and for your posting pleasure I have decided to give you a peek into my private world through The Simple Woman's Daybook. These journal prompts were created by Peggy Hostetler of The Simple Woman (her blog). Peggy's focus is to linger on the simple things in life through day plans, thoughts, and the beauty of the everyday moments that surround her. Peggy hosts this post every Monday, to participate click on The Simple Woman's Daybook link above for participation and linking instructions.FOR TODAY, Monday, November 24, 2008...

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW ~
Golden sunshine pours from a vivid blue sky. A brisk wind is causing the last of the autumn leaves on the oaks to shiver, quiver, and gently twirl to the earth below. A puff from the back of the North wind sets off a merry race of skittering leaf runners across the field where they reach their finish line at the barn door. Our old red barn stands warming itself in the sun while nearby bare branches cas
t shadow pictures across its surface.

I AM THINKING ~
about Thanksgiving, being thankful, and how a merry heart really is like a continual feast.

I AM THANKFUL FOR ~
Five things I am thankful for today are:
(I am not stating the obvious here today, like faith, family, friends, etc. but for some of the simple little things in my life.)
1.) A sweet nights sleep last night, feeling refreshed and ready for a busy week
2.) The lightness of my heart today
3.) Cool wind caresses, sunshine kisses, and a tiny hand holding mine as we wa
lk outside in the wonders of God's world
4.) Side hurting, eye watering, can't stop even if I tired laughter shared with a friend

5.) The opportunity to write for eternity

FROM THE LEARNING ROOMS ~
Although I am no longer a home school mother as my last student graduated two years ago, I still have learning rooms of my own, my writing cottage and my art studio space so I thought I would share what was going on in each with you under this prompt.

In the writing cottage writing skills are being honed with daily writing practice in my journal. I am currently studying "For the Write Reason" by Marybeth Whalen and doing the coordinating Bible study. I am organizing materials and resources into categories for easier reference while writing. Lastly I am pulling together material from my journals for two future possible book proposals.

In the art studio I am learning a new medium of sculpting with paper clay, working on a mixed media nature collage, and preparing some tutorials for later posting on my blog.


FROM THE KITCHEN ~
simmers and bubbles a big pot of what is loving referred to as Can Can Chili. Choices are to eat it as is with crackers, as Frito Pie, or over grilled hot dogs with a side of leftover homemade potato salad and slaw.


Can Can Chili Recipe:

1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes

1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
1 sm. can tomato paste
1 can tomato soup
1 can original rotel
2 cans dark red kidney beans ~ drained and rinsed

1 cup boiling water
2 beef bullion cubes
1 to 2 lbs. ground beef ~ depends on how meaty you want your chili
2 bulbs garlic ~ finely chopped or crushed

2 stalks celery ~ chopped
1 small onion ~ chopped
1 green pepper ~ chopped

2 tsp. chili powder
dash cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. cumin

Pinch of thyme
Pinch of basil
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. parsley flakes

salt & pepper to taste

In a large pot combine the first five ingredients. Dissolve beef bullion cubes in boiling water then add to first five ingredients. Stir until well combined. Brown ground beef, drain and add to pot, stir to combine. Saute onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery in a skillet, when tender, add to pot, stir. Bring pot contents t
o a slow boil. Add spices and red beans, stir, allow to simmer on low until well heated. Remove bay leaves and Enjoy!

I AM WEARING~
dark washed denim jeans, a white tank top with an over layer of a white cotton quarter length sleeved button front t-shirt, bare feet despite the chill. (I love the feel of the sun warmed wood floors on my bare feet.)

I AM CREATING ~
handwoven birds nest and branch broaches and hand loomed scarves as well as
other items for Christmas gifts.

I AM GOING ~
Into town later this afternoon to purchase more bamboo yarn for scarves and to pick up a few Christmas gifts and run errands.


I AM READING ~ (I am usually reading more than one book at a time)
The Bible, through Psalms

A Treasury of Christian Poetry compiled by Mary Batchelor
Homestead by Jane Kirkpatrick ~ a memoir of her homesteading experience as a modern pioneer
The Singing Creek Where The Willows Grow, The Rediscovered Diary of Opal Whiteley by Benjamin Hoff
Browsing through the latest issues of Romantic Homes, Somerset Studio, and Where Women Create


I AM HOPING ~
That God will honor and answer a prayer regarding my darling little gorgeous grandson.

I AM HEARING ~
The click, click, click of little dogie feet on the hardwood floor followed by a contented sigh from my little sidekick Sophie as she settles in a patch of sunshine for a nap. The quiet hum of my modern maids, (dishwasher, washer, and dryer), as they lend a helping hand to today's chores. Strains of Bach from the
"Reflections of Nature BACH In Harmony with the Sea" CD.

AROUND THE HOUSE ~
Monday chores: Quick general pickup if needed, Dust & Vacuum Bedrooms, Empty & carry out trash, Run sweeper on all floors, Dust mop under the furniture, Vacuum and/or shake out rugs, Mop all floors, Empty dishwasher, 4 loads of laundry, finish cleaning out closet and dresser drawers.

ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS ~
The warm glow and homey smell of hazelnut candles.


A FEW PLANS FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK ~
Running a few errands this afternoon. Tomorrow working on tutorials and posts for my upcoming Spirit of Giving blog posts. Wednesday I will be baking for Thanksgiving. Thursday, spending the day feasting on family togetherness and turkey! Friday, taking down autumn decor and begin decorating for Christmas. Saturday, a day of play! Sunday, worship and rest.

HERE IS A PICTURE THOUGHT I AM SHARING WITH YOU ~Blessings,
Miss Sandy

7 comments:

Vee said...

This is a very good catalyst isn't it? I love the responses that you've given. It's easy to see that you are a writer!

Susie said...

Sandy, I just wanted to say I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm very thankful for many things in my life and I'm thankful I came across your wonderful blog.

Ronda said...

Sandy,
I just love the way in which you write....everything. Thank you for sharing so much with all of us.
Love & Prayers,
Ronda

Anonymous said...

What a thought-provoking post. I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving. You are such an inspiration to all of us.

bluemuf said...

Miss Sandy, I just love coming to visit your lovely blog. Spending some quite moments listening to the beautiful music and being inspired and uplifted by your amazing writing. I'm also so glad you droped by yesterday.

Hugs Karen

Artifax said...

Ahhh! That is just a beautiful post!

I'm making holiday gifts this week too .. it is so wonderful to craft something with your heart and soul for those you love! I haven't tried that new bamboo yarn yet, but it looked really scrumptious!

And I love the Autumn/Thanksgiving dressing your blog has .. just lovely!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Catherine Holman said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your day with us as only you can do with your sweet words!
Hugs,
Cathie

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin