HomeARTWordsStudioTutorialsClassesShop

Thursday, May 6, 2010

VERTICAL AND HOLDING...

Back in the days before remote controls and flat screens, television sets actually came with knobs on them. Each knob served a function to change the channel, (yes, we had to get up and cross the room and turn the knob!), tune in the station, as well as maintain horizontal and vertical hold of the picture.

We had a big black and white television set in an Early American style hard rock maple cabinet. The front of the speakers was covered in a gold threaded fabric and it had the four knobs mentioned above. We got a total of four stations, two of which were fuzzy with snow unless you adjusted the rabbit ear antenna and squished aluminum foil just right on the tips and then they came in just fine.

Our set had a habit of losing its hold and the picture would start to flip, flicker, and fade. A little adjustment of the horizontal hold button and it was back in business. More often than not it would loose its vertical hold and the picture would wibble and wobble in long vertical waves.

I was thinking about this as I stepped out of bed this morning and dearly wished I had a vertical hold button to stop the wibbling and wobbling sensation I felt while trying to remain vertical. All this reminiscing said to say that I am some better but need a few more days to adjust myself and then the picture of perfect health should appear and be all clear.

I thank you all for all your precious messages of well being. I have been so sick I have not even been on the computer until today. I ended up with a terrible flu-like bug and wished that my old TV hero, Marcus Welby MD would come and doctor me. With all the strangeness of a cheesy Sci-fi thriller, I then thought I had entered The Twilight Zone and aliens must be doing probing experiments on my poor aching head when I awoke from a sudden sleep with searing brain pain - a lovely migraine to cap off the flu. Then as if that was not enough, I became Bewitched! or at least my nose started to twitch like a witch followed by spells of sneezes and allergy wheezes!

I am sufficiently stuffy, shaky, and my head is still a little quaky but other than that I am just fine. It seems as if this is now a Family Affair as Handy Hubby is not feeling so bubbly. Too bad we don't have Mr. French to take care of us. I am vertical and holding!

I hope each of you have a healthy and happy weekend!

Blessings,
Miss Sandy

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rest and take care of yourself Miss Sandy and you'll be running as good as one of those new HDTV's. Sally

Lady Farmer said...

Your prose and humor are still in *fine fettle* inspite of the flu bug!
Praying you continue to stay 'vertical and holding'! ;~}

Miss Rhea said...

I sure hope that this passes quickly for you. Prayers being lifted here for you sweet friend :) Hugs :) :) :)

kathy said...

A rhyme in time -- not feeling just fine -- but you are getting better !!!
We 'll be glad of the time you are feeling well and not in unconfortable fetter--!
Blessings - Kathy ♥

Sonya Badgley said...

Hi Sandy~ You poor thing! Having the flu is just the pits...Praying that you will stay vertical and also praying for your husband too.

I was so excited when I checked the mail today and found Alice in Wonderland in my box! It's even more fabulous in real life! Thank you so much! She is sitting up on a shelf in my craftroom.
Take care and try to have a good weekend.
Blessings, Sonya

tuckaway hearts said...

My hubby (minus the handy) sounds just like you Miss Sandy so I am 'taking care' of both of you in my heart.

Immunological blessings to you!!

Decor To Adore said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have been unwell. Return to yourself soon.

I so remember turning the dial. We had 4 channels, NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS. :)

Happy Mother's Day~ everyday.

Vee said...

Oh no! We've both been away, but I've been off for far better reasons. I'm so sorry to learn that you've been under the weather with a flu bug-ugh.

(I thought that you were going to compare the first tv viewing experience with today's. Ours very much matches the one you describe...isn't digital tv great? Not!)

Stay vertical with plenty of horizontal resting times, my friend. I'll be checking in on you...too bad that I do not have Dr. Welby's qualifications, but I always did feel that Father really did know best and that he was a saint of a doctor. Talk about mixing metaphors!

Lisa said...

Poor girl,
Nothing worse than a Summer flu bug. I am laughing so hard at your post. I remember when we had UHF, I think that's what it was called. We thought it was the bomb. You could pick up a whole other channel. Wow! 5,8, 11 & 21! We were stylin'!! If you'd told me then about TEVO, that I could pause a show, record 2 others I would have died. I could have recorded the Brady Bunch, Partridge Family while watching Love American Style & Laugh In. Ok, just dated myself. Hope Marcus makes you feel better, if not him maybe Mr. French. Lisa

claudie said...

Oh Miss Sandy. I'm so sorry to hear that you have been sick. I've come back from my wonderful trip down South. I met the best bloggy girls ever.
I wish you good health soon. Your still cheery ; )
Love and if your a mom Happy Mother's Day.
Love Claudie
oxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Sandy, what a wonderful memory you have. I'd forgotten all about those days with TV problems like that. They came back to "haunt" you this past week, didn't they! Did you know that the Twilight Zone is still on TV? LOL! Yes, on PBS in our area.

I hope you're feeling much, much better today. If not, it IS Mother's Day so I hope your family will pamper you. Well, I hope they pamper you anyway. You're a good Mom!

Blessings and Warm Hugs and Cyber Chicken Soup.....
Diane

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin